When to Replace the Roof? Advice from Rockford, IL Roofing Contractor.
It is important to know when it is time to replace the old roof.
Letting the old roof go to long can be a costly mistake for homeowners. This is one home project that should not be neglected or overlooked. Old brittle and deteriorated shingles can take in water and damage the wood beneath causing rot, mold, and damage to the insulation and drywall. Roofing systems have come along way in the past ten years and the right system can protect your home for many decades. K&H recommends a Lifetime Shingle. Many roof shingle manufacturers now offer the lifetime architectural shingle. In the past couple years many of these companies have upgraded their 30 year shingles to a lifetime warranty. Which will allow homeowners the chance to replace the roof for the last time.
Signs you may be in need of a new roof:
- You have missing shingles or roofing tabs. These areas can be fixed, however you may want to address the fact that you will be fixing additional shingles in the future. This is a good sign the existing roof may have not of been installed correctly.
- The Roof Shingles are curling up. This is never a good sign. Water can get in under the shingles and cause damage. Curled shingles are also a sign of poor attic ventilation. Be sure to have enough vents installed on the roof and ample venting in the soffit areas.
- You can clearly see black spots on the shingles. This is a sign that the granules are worn off or may even be hail damage.
- Granules are in your gutters and at the base of the downspouts. This is a sure sign your roof is wearing down with each rain. This is a sign that you may have been exposed to hail damage.
- You have a multi layered roof. Having more than one layer of roofing was an affordable way to replace the roof. However, this adds extra weight and the odds are there may be no Ice and Water Shield to protect your roof edges from Ice and Water damage. Most cities require the Ice and Water Guard in their building codes.
- You can see your roof is sagging. This is a sign of a weakened structure and should be attended to properly. Make sure you get it in writing with the contractor before work commences to address any sagging sections that they are repaired and shored up properly.
- Blistering and Cracked shingles are a sure sign that it is time to replace the roof. Shingles that are blistered and cracked are dried out and are past their lie expectancy. Waiting to replace the roof in this case is not a wise decision.
- Water spots on the interior of home. This is a sign you have water leaking into your home and it is time to patch this area right away. If the roof is aged then it is time for a new roofing system to be installed.
K&H Exteriors, Inc. in Roscoe, Il. installs lifetime roofing systems and has been a highly rated roofing contractor in Rockford, IL and Northern Illinois for the past 50 years. Contact K&H for a free estimate in writing for the replacement of your roof.